DanceXpressions Dresscode Page
Fall 2016-Spring 2017 Dress Code
The DanceXpressions dress code is designed to be simple and cost effective for families. Students should wear, for all dance classes, the leotard color consistent with their ballet class level. If a student is not enrolled in ballet, then the leotard color should match their enrolled class level (“pre”/1/2/3/4).
(Students enrolled in multiple level classes may wear the colors associated with those levels, but they are not required to do so per this dress code.)
Please see the Studio Director with any questions.
Girls’/Women’s Dress Code:
Leotard color based off ballet level
Pre- Ballet- ages 3-5- pink leotard
Pre-Ballet- ages 5-8- light blue leotard
Special Needs Shining Stars Class- ages 3-8- pink leotard
Ballet 1B- ages 10+- purple leotard
Ballet 2- ages 8+- royal blue leotard
Ballet 3- ages 10+- red leotard
Ballet 4- ages 13+- black leotard
The following classes may wear any color leotard:
- Technique/ Stretch class
- Company classes (Company may also wear DXP practice wear)
The following classes do NOT require a leotard and may wear appropriate fitness wear (no jeans, street clothes or inappropriate graphics on T-shirts):
- Praise Dance
- Stretch classes
- Hip Hop Classes
- Adult Tap
- Special Needs Shining Stars Class ages 9+
- Musical Theatre Company Class
Girls’ additional dress code items:
All ballet classes and Special Needs ages 3-8:
Ballet pink tights, footed or transitional
All other style dance classes:
Tan tights**, footed or transitional
Dance Shorts, dance skirts or dance leggings:
- Leggings are allowed for any class except ballet.
- Dance shorts or dance skirts may be worn in ballet levels 1-4 and ballet technique classes with a white dance alignment belt only.
- Dance skirts and shorts may be worn in pre-ballet and all pre-school combination classes.
- Ballet: Pink Ballet shoes (split sole ballet shoes required for levels 1A and above)
- Lyrical/contemporary classes: Canvas “Turners” (Also known as Lyrical shoes, Half-shoes or Twylas)- color should match skin-tone to the best extent possible
- Jazz and Praise dance classes: Black slip-on jazz shoes*** (also known as “jazz boot”)
- Tap classes:
- Ages 3-7 classes- Patent leather beginner tap shoes (Velcro closure recommended for faster change times);
- Levels 1A and above- Black split sole tap shoes****
- Technique classes: Shoes appropriate for genre of dance
- Irish Dance: Black soft Irish dance shoes (Gillies)
- Hip Hop and Musical Theatre Company class: Black dance sneakers
- Stretch classes: bare feet, jazz, hip hop or lyrical shoes
Boys’/Men’s Dress Code:
Ballet, Lyrical/Contemporary, Jazz, Tap, Irish, Tap Ensemble or Jazz/Lyrical Company Classes- All levels:
- Black dance or fitness/sweatpants (appropriate length please)
- White or studio t-shirt
- Ballet: Black split sole ballet shoes
- Jazz: Black split sole jazz shoe***
- Lyrical/Contemporary- Black jazz shoes or barefoot***
- Irish- soft sole Irish shoes
* Irish dancers will need black tights for recital.
** All performance and competition classes will be required to purchase Capezio Ultra Soft Transitional or footed tights in Suntan
*** DanceXpressions Jazz/Lyrical teams are required to purchase black split sole jazz shoes in the style of the “Dance Now” manufacturer. Tan jazz shoes in the “Dance Now” style may be required depending on costume choice. Boys wearing jazz shoes for contemporary dance may be required to purchase tan jazz shoes depending on costume.
**** DanceXpressions Rhythm Tap teams are required to purchase Black Bloch Flex-tap Split sole tap shoes. Tan Bloch Flex-taps may be required depending on costume.
*****The DanceXpressions “Joyful Expressions” praise dance team are required to purchase tan split sole jazz shoes for performances.